World of Work Week
Work week is a program designed to raise the aspirations of primary school children and to increase their awareness and knowledge about the range of careers opportunities out there in the big wide world!
‘Work Week brings jobs and careers to life through engaging, fun and interactive experiences both in workplaces and at school with the support of business volunteers’
The week aims to:
· Develop children’s awareness of the world of work and work-related concepts and vocabulary.
· Increase understanding of the variety of occupations and roles, and help prevent stereotypes around gender and cultural suitability for particular jobs.
· Help demonstrate the links between learning in school and success in adult life.
· Develop children’s financial capability from a young age and increase understanding of why people earn and save money.
· Develop children’s sense of responsibility and their skills for co-operation, enterprise and problem solving.
· Develop parent/ carers awareness of the world of work.
Each year group will focus on a different work-related themes and participate in daily classroom sessions, in-school workshops with world of work visitors and visits to local workplaces..
This will be the school’s fifth Work Week. All children from Year 1 to Year 5 will participate. With year 6 carrying out similar activities in the summer term.
Year 1: Theme: People who help us
Year 2: Theme: Film & Theatre
Year 3: Theme: Why We Work
Year 4: Theme: Engineering at a Theme Park
Year 5: Theme: Building Futures