The Pupil Premium Grant (PPG) is additional funding given to school from the government. It is an initiative that targets extra money for pupils from deprived backgrounds, which research shows underachieve compared to their peers. The premium is provided in order to support these pupils in reaching their potential.
There are three categories of pupils that qualify for this funding:
- Pupils who are eligible for free school meals (FSM)
- Looked after children
- Armed forces children
The Government are not dictating how school should spend this money, but are clear that schools will need to employ strategies that will support their pupils to increase attainment and 'narrow the gap'.
To ensure the school can claim the extra PPG funding to use towards your child's education EVERY FAMILY needs to complete an online form. In order to complete the form please follow the steps below.
Step 1 - Go to www.newham.gov.uk
Step 2 - Click on 'services' tab and select 'education and learning.'
Step 3 - Click on 'schools and colleges' (it is the one with the school sign).
Step 4 - Click on 'free school meals' and follow the link to apply.
Step 5 - Complete and submit the form.
- We ensure that teaching and learning opportunities meet the needs of all the pupils.
- We ensure that appropriate provision is made for pupils who belong to vulnerable groups, this includes ensuring that the needs of socially disadvantaged pupils are adequately assessed and addressed.
- In making provision for socially disadvantaged pupils, we recognise that not all pupils who receive free school meals will be socially disadvantaged
- We also recognise that not all pupils who are socially disadvantaged are registered or qualify for free school meals. We also allocate funding to support any pupil or groups of pupils the school has identified as being socially disadvantaged.
- Pupil premium funding will be allocated following a needs analysis which will identify priority classes, groups or individuals. Limited funding and resources means that not all pupils receiving free school meals will always be in receipt of pupil premium interventions at one time.
- Pupil Premium resources may also be used to target able pupils on Free School Meals.
- Provision will not be aimed at statmented/resource based pupils as funding is already in place.
- Funding for extra teaching assistants to deliver support through small group intervention work in literacy and numeracy across the school
- Funding for 1:1 tuition in numeracy in Year 6
- Funding for teacher to work with gifted and talented pupils in Year 6
- Discounted places for PPG pupils in Breakfast Club
- Funding for teacher to provide 1:1 support in reading in Key Stage One
- Turn about programme.
If you require any further information regarding the Pupil Premium please contact school office on 020 7474 3344.